A Frenchdoor fridge freezer has two doors standing side by side that open out from the middle to reveal the refrigerated compartment, with the freezer being located at the bottom of the unit. This provides more horizontal room for larger items and means that you don’t have to open both doors at the same time. French door bottom freezers are now one of the most popular fridge configurations but they do have a few drawbacks, so read on to discover some French door fridge problems:
You may initially experience a bit of confusion in the use of your French door refrigerator as you need to get used to the freezer being located at the bottom, and only needing to open the left or the right door to source your food.
In a French door fridge the water dispenser is typically on the inside of the fridge and the icemaker is inside the freezer compartment, which takes away storage capacity in both areas. Several incidents have been reported that involve these features also leaking or malfunctioning, so it’s worth investigation these issues before you make your purchase.
Condensation problems may also occur which can soak surrounds, door lights can remain on, and doors may occasionally pop open – all of these are irritating issues that can be simply resolved by your appliance repair expert.
Here’s an assortment of French door fridge freezer pros and cons:
French door fridge freezer pros:
- Wide shelves allows easy storage of meats, stews, and casseroles.
- Door bins are spacious enough to hold large jugs and pitchers.
- Vision and access is logical due to general excellent layout and design.
- The unit can be placed in a tight space as doors require minimum motion with easy opening and closing systems.
- Single freezer drawers are deep and ideal for boxed items.
- Stainless steel and brushed metal designs makes them an excellent addition to modern or contemporary kitchens.
French door fridge freezer cons:
- Higher prices – French door refrigerators cost more than traditional styles.
- Fresh food shelves are closely stacked reducing the amount of vertical storage.
- Ice dispenser units reduces the amount of storage space in the drawer.
- More features means more energy to run and to cool, so opt for Energy Star approved models.
- Compact freezers need you to bend down to access them.
- Ice dispensers tend to be more repair-prone than those without this feature.
The best French door refrigerators
According to current data French door fridges accounted for 29% of fried freezer models bought in 2016. They’re so popular due to offering the best organisation options for storing a family’s worth of food! In recent years Samsung, Whirlpool, and LG have dominated the ratings alongside Kenmore and GE.
Fridges are monitored for longer than a month to evaluate thermostat control and temperature uniformity. Readings detect warm and cold spots and determine which fridges will keep food fresh for longer. Energy efficiency, noise, and how long food stays frozen during a power cut are all measured.
When you need French door fridge repairs London simply search online for a trusted company. You’ll be able to book a comprehensive service from friendly and fully trained technicians, and you’ll get a six months parts and labour guarantee following your repair. Experienced engineers will help you with any French door fridge freezer problems.