Hotpoint has been around since 1920 when it entered the British market, and at one time produced the largest amount of kitchen appliances in the United Kingdom. And Hotpoint fridge freezers are still readily available in a selection of styles, sizes and colours to suit any modern home.
Troubleshooting a fridge freezer with operating problems simply means looking at the symptoms and finding some of the possible causes. Then the source can be verified and the problem fixed. In many cases, this will need the assistance of a qualified appliance repair engineer.
Look at some common Hotpoint fridge freezer issues here…
Hotpoint Fridge Freezer RFA52 Problems
Hotpoint fridge freezer RFA52 error code and troubleshooting can include the motor running continuously and being extremely noisy. Issues can also be experienced with the internal light. These problems could result from a defective door seal, installation on an uneven surface, or a power supply contact fault.
When your Hotpoint appliance is continually operating loudly there are a number of reasons why. These include:
- Compressor – an internally damaged compressor will cause excessive noise due to wear and tear.
- Evaporator fan motor – if this component fails it typically generates a lot of noise and appears much louder when the fridge door is open.
- Evaporator fan motor grommet – this is used to isolate the motor from the mounting bracket and once worn will increase vibration resulting in excess noise.
- Fan blade – if the blade won’t turn freely it may be rubbing against something or have something caught in the blade itself.
- Water inlet valve – this may be at fault if the noise is prevalent particularly when the ice maker is filling. This electronically controlled valve can become blocked with mineral deposits that restrict the water flow, and eventually causes the valve to fail.
Other Hotpoint Fridge Freezer Issues
Hotpoint Fridge Freezer Lights Flashing
This may mean that the fridge freezer needs resetting – depending on the model. This can be done by turning the freezer dial and the fridge dial off and then turning them back on. If your appliance doesn’t have dials there might be buttons next to each other. If this is the case you’ll need to press and hold them both for several seconds to turn them off.
After a few seconds press them both again to turn the appliance back on and this should have reset the flashing lights.
Hotpoint Fridge Freezer Not Cold
When this happens, it could be due to the evaporator coils being covered in ice resulting in a defrosting system error. The defrost heater assembly could be defective, or the thermostat or defrost control may have failed in which case the freezer will stay cold but the fridge will become warm.
Hotpoint Frost Free Fridge Freezer Problems
A condenser fan circulates air through to the condenser coil in order to remove heat as well as circulating air over the drain pan to evaporate the defrosted water. When your frost-free fridge freezer starts making loud noises the condenser fan motor may be the culprit. On top of this, the appliance might not be as cold as it should be and maybe switching itself off and on regularly.
Hotpoint Fridge Freezer Not Working
Common reasons why your Hotpoint fridge freezer isn’t working are dirty or iced over condenser coils, defective temperature control thermostat, and main control board malfunction. Other causes could be related to a faulty user control board, a defective compressor unit, a sealed system leak, problems with the start relay, and issues with the evaporator motor fan.
For any of the above problems, you’ll get a swift diagnosis from experienced appliance repair technicians and a comprehensive repair.